The SMC F 35=70 f3.5~4.5 is a real sleeper and won't set you back much more that $35. Sharp with few if any noticeable optical defects, (maybe a touch of barrel and pincushion distortion at either end of it's zoom range), it's kind of old timey in it's implementation of close focusing, though it does it at the long end of it's zoom range. The other good choice in a bargain lens that pretty much fills that gap is the FA 28-70mm f4.0, also very good though prone to having the rear composite aspheric element separate into its component glass and plastic parts. Well worth it's normal selling price of around $90. as long as you understand that it might go tit's up at any time, even if it's just sitting on a shelf.

The *ist Ds supports SDHC cards of up to 32gig.