That's very true of complex computing devices. Even Windows when it was based on MS-DOS (and NT when it's UI wasn't tightly coupled it's DOS), there were things that were at best cumbersome if not impossible to do except from the command prompt.

But that's still a side issue. There are only certain core functions that a camera needs to fulfill. In a still camera only one really, take and store still photos. Everything that helps that should be available, every thing that impedes that should be discouraged. Making movies with a still camera is a nice feature, but it if begins to impede the ability to take stills then it's counter productive. If a reviewer thinks that's a problem then they've missed the point of having a dedicated still camera.

Hell I've got two printers currently set up, a laser printer for text documents and a wide carriage inkjet for photographs. They can both do each others job, but the laser prints only B&W and relatively low resolution graphics, while the inkjet print quality is equal to the laser printer but tremendously more expensive per page. Should anyone be upset if each isn't as good at the others job?