Tom,  I know the sound of expensive plastic hitting the pavement all too well.  Last
month I was sitting in a restaurant with my brother-in-law, and had the PZ1-p w/24 f2
sitting on the table. He was sitting with his ankle crossed over his knee, and as we
got up, his foot hooked the camera strap, and sent the unit flying. Truly an awful
sound.

It landed face down on the lens hood.  The body seems to have survived unscathed, and
the only obvious damage to the lens are some scratches to the edge.  But there is a
rattle that I'm not sure is just the loose autofocus, so I'm planning to send it to
Pentax to be checked, though I may just use a local repair service.

BTW, I had the hotshoe break off my 500FTZ last summer, when the rig fell off the
front seat of my car.  It cost $65 for a Pentax repair, not too bad, really.

I now carry an All-Risks policy on my newer equipment, thanks to some discussions here
on the list.

The worst part is being without the equipment for 6 weeks or so.  Good luck...