On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 11:24:19AM -0000, Bob W wrote:

> > From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Eric Weir
>
> There are 2 schools of thought on using clear filters for protecting lenses.
> One rational and sensible school of thought is that it is a good idea and
> doesn't do any noticeable harm to your pictures; the other is wrong, an
> abomination in the sight of the Lord, and should be dragged behind horses
> through the streets of olde Londonne Towne, then burnt on a pyre built from
> their land and holdings. Yea, verily.

I feel that both schools of thought have merit.

The vast majority of the time, a UV filter in front of my lens is
not going to be the limiting factor in image quality, but a scratch
or a chip on the front of the lens could be.

In cases where I have the time to make sure everything else is perfect,
and a UV filter would make a detectable (though probably not noticable)
difference, I can take it off for a few minutes with little effort.

If I were to only shoot in the studio, with hepa filtered air so that
I never had to clean my lenses, or worry about incidental damage, then
I wouldn't bother with them.

If you are photographing something very bright in a dark environment,
do take the UV filter off because the bright light will bounce off the
front element then off the filter, and will show up in your images.

To see this, just photograph the night sky, with the moon in it, particularly
with it off center in the image.

--
Larry Colen                  l...@red4est.com         http://red4est.com/lrc