I consider both "haze" and "UV" filters as correcting and have used both. UV
especially come to mind when shooting at higher altitudes.

Jack

----- Original Message -----
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <godd...@me.com>
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Saturday, November 2, 2013 6:09 AM
Subject: Re: Filters?

Tiffen filters are often ok glass-wise, but often have cheap, aluminum mounts
with sharply cut threads that can damage plastic and soft metal lens mounting
threads if not handled carefully. They are also prone to getting jammed and
being difficult to remove.

Haze vs UV vs UV Haze for protecting a lens on a digital camera makes no
difference whatever. All three are designed to filter out UV light scatter,
which digital sensors are not particularly sensitive to.

The biggest things to watch out for with filters is added flare and focusing
issues. Some are improperly made and have some curvature or a wedge shape to
their surfaces. Those can degrade image sharpness and cause AF issues. Even
multicoated filters will add some flare potential and should always be used
with a good lens hood.

I saw flare problems and stopped using protection filters as a general rule in
the early 1980s. But I do still use one from time to time depending on
circumstances. Most of the time I just leave my lens unprotected except for a
lens hood. I await the Mongol Horde of filter extremists and their flaming
swords ... Perhaps I'll offer them tea.

Godfrey