Darren, what are the income and sales tax rates in your corner of the world?

I loosely followed the strategy you've outlined back in the early days of eBay.
In my case I bought and sold lenses and cameras. Any loss I considered as the
cost of my having "rented" the item for whatever period of time, amortized over
the number of images I had shot with said equipment. Any profit went toward an
equipment upgrade.  I seriously considered buying/selling for the income rather
than for my own use, but then I would have needed to get a vendor-tax ID from
the state, keep proper records for the State and Federal income taxes, etc.
More time investment and paperwork than could be justified by the likely income.

Good luck with it!

stan