On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 03:39:39PM -0500, kwal...@peoplepc.com wrote:
> Ah, so you picked up some klaag!
>
> I enjoyed Sears Point before they revised it a while back - loved
> that fall away right hander on the back side (I forget the number).

I think that you might mean turn 4:
http://red4est.com/pdapi/searspt.html

Or you might be confusing it with the carousel, turn 6,
which is a long falling left hander.

> How'd the MX5 do?

Only about five seconds a lap slower than I used to do in my Honda station
wagon.

I was on street rubber, rather than race tires, but I think that the big
problems were with the spacer that fits between the seat and the steering wheel.

It was an eventful weekend.  Saturday started out with the car feeling
loose, and wanting to spin every time I got on the gas coming out of
a turn.  On my second session, just barely out of the pits, I was
accelerating coming out of turn 2, not even up to speed, and the car
came around on me.

The group leader suggested I lower tire pressures, and that seemed to help
it feel a lot more stable.  Sunday morning, on my first session, I took the
first
couple of laps very slowly, on my third lap I was starting to pick up
speed, apexed early in four (my race speed turn in point was too
early for the speed I was carrying), spun in four, and the car
behind me tapped me in the right front fender.

I managed to get the car together for most of the second session, and
did OK.  In the third session, I got a few laps in and the car
overheated, it was leaking from (I believe) the heater hose.

It was quite an emotional rollercoaster of a weekend. Driving to
the track felt like I was going home after a long absence, but
every session had humbling challenges.

Car, post repairs:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/10794269435/

--