On 19/11/2013 7:52 AM, Stan Halpin wrote:

Bruce, as you've probably figured by now, it is likely just a file size issue.
If I am patient enough, long enough, the usual LR import preview thumbnails begin to show up on the screen.
If there are more than a few images it can take a very long time.
I have been assuming this is a computer issue and have been biding my time until I can buy a newer faster computer with much more memory. Given how many other manufacturers are selling 24mb and larger cameras, LR must be able to handle the files...

stan

I built the machine I am running right now earlier this year. While I didn't get stoopid about specifications, I did do a very well specc'ed build. A higher than mid range Gigabyte board with an Intel I7-3770K CPU, which was pushed at me as a very nice, very fast chip that would handle apps like Photoshop with alacrity. I combined this with 16GB of fast RAM and had two SSD hard drives installed, one being drive C, the other dedicated to swap files. Win7 64 was the OS I chose to run, and I have found it to be very stable and reliable as well. The K3 DNG files are 30mb or more, and open up to in excess of 130mb. This is a lot of data for a computer to throughput, and for me has been the cause of one of the more major expenses when I upgrade a camera. I have either massively upgraded or bought a new computer practically every time I have bought a new camera. I am hoping that the rumoured full frame camera that is supposed to appear next year doesn't cause this machine to kaak. The 645D DNGs are around 75mb, and 225mb opened, and they do slow this machine down noticably, though the K3 files are not terribly hard for it to handle.

Trying to open one of the K3 files on my isdD era laptop last night was quite funny. While they opened just fine, it took a couple of minutes for the machine to chew through them.

bill