On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, J. C. O'Connell wrote:

> Even if doesnt break, the lens may slip down and' cause the whole
> triop to go out of balance and fall. I would be very careful. Secondly
> its a 600mm lens! Even the slightest movements are going to throw off
> the composition. I would use a monopod, its almost as good as a tripod
> without the hassles...

Interesting... have you used a monopod on 600mm lenses before, and with
what result?  I never have, but I'd imagine that it would be hard to
steady the lens, since (as you said), even the slightest movements will
throw off the composition or blur the image slightly.  Is it not as bad as
I think it would be?

chris