on 2013-11-30 14:14 Stan Halpin wrote
So, is there sufficient value added with the desktop and its option to go for a
wide gamut display?

you can add a second (and third) display to the iMac as well; the Thunderbolt bus also supports Mini DisplayPort, and with cheap adapters, HDMI and DVI; i would get the iMac and then if you discover a real need for a wide-gamut monitor, add it later since the iMac will support it

use the difference in price to max the RAM and consider adding Thunderbolt SSD storage (rather than pay Apple to upgrade the internal SSD); consider getting a VESA-mount iMac so you can put it on an arm instead of planting the stand at a fixed height on your desk; also check the Apple refurbs (though i've never seen the VESA models there)

Am I gaining other intangible benefits from the (to me) inscrutable differences
in processor and GPUs between the iMac and Mac Pro? Should I save some money on
the computer system and buy a 20-40 lens?

no doubt the Mac Pro is a lot faster, but we won't know how much until they've shipped a few; if you are using mainly Lightroom, then those super-GPUs won't make much difference to your photo work

we don't know how good the HD LTD 20-40mm is yet either, though i certainly hope it is great