Thanks John! I know you won't convert me, I won't convert you, but I appreciate
your perspective.
My first Mac was the MacPlus. I've gone through at least five desktop
generations since then, plus 3-4 generations of laptops. I pretty much hated
every new system that came out. I stuck with System 9.x for a long time,
finally moved to OS-X with version 10.3. In retrospect, each successive change
was pretty well thought out and the transition was smooth once I took the time
to unlearn a few old habits and learned to appreciate the new features and new
ways of doing things. I don't know that Apple has acquired my soul along the
way, but they do have my conditional loyalty. As long as they continue with
quality products, I will continue with them.

Along the way I used many Compaq's and Dells etc. There were long stretches
when the only way I could satisfy the then current Army approach to secure
sign-in was to use a Windows-based system. So I used a Mac for most of my work,
a Windows laptop for email, file transfers, etc. I was the only Mac user among
8500 (?) computer users at Fort Leavenworth and the IT guys used to grumble
about that, but occasionally they would come to me with a file that they
couldn't open or whatever and I enjoyed giving my little lecture about the
value of diversity.

stan