With a focus rail, you still have to move focus by hand. I was thinking about tools like this one:
http://www.cognisys-inc.com/stackshot/stackshot.php

Jostein

-----Opprinnelig melding----- From: Attila Boros
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2013 2:04 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Peso: Japanese Knife (17 image focus stack)

On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Alunfoto - Jostein Øksne

Well done, Bill!

I'm curious to know if you move focus by hand or use some kind of device for
it. I have been looking at several tools for the purpose, but haven't been
able to justify the investment just yet.

Jostein

http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/produkte/2_1_produktanzeige.asp?nr=5534

Didn't try focus stack with it (yet), just setting the magnification
on the macro lens, then focusing by moving the camera.