On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 04:29:04PM -0600, Charles Robinson wrote:
> Is there anything out there that is even remotely close to the 50-135 f/2.8
> that costs less than $350, or am I just dreaming?

A bit over a year ago, I picked up a manual focus Tokina 80-200/2.8 for
about $150.

I think the photos in this set, listed at 200mm were shot with that lens:
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157630671846122/

Also, the ones in this set labeled as 180mm
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157632237743666/

> I don't shoot concerts often enough (and it's just for fun) to justify even
> the used 50-135 at KEH for $500, even though I know that's a bargain for that
> lens.

Damn! KEH has a 50-135 for $500? !!!

> But I can see that my used $35 smc PENTAX-F 80-200mm F4.7-5.6 is really
> what's holding my image quality back these days.
>
> Any ideas/suggestions for something "good but not GREAT"?  I have the feeling
> what I have right now is, at best, "OK, but not awful".  :-(

I'd say that my MF 80-200 2.8 is an excellent bargain.  Though shooting with
it a bit does make me want the AF version.

--
Larry Colen                  l...@red4est.com         http://red4est.com/lrc