Every so often some PDMLer mentions that he/she is looking for a
monitor. I just realized that nobody ever mentioned this new type of
monitors that look like a good deal.
They are ultra-high resolution (2560x1440 !), 27" with the
panel made by Samsung. The monitor itself is manifactured by
some other company (I see mostly QNIX, X-Star, and don't know the
difference).
They are "PLS" which is, as far as I understand is a variation of IPS.
And the typical price is around $300 or so, including shipping.

The main caveat that they are mainly available from eBay
(or, which very likely, I am not aware of other sources), and
_shipped from South Korea_,  which means if you get a lemon, it will
cost you to return it.
I've heard about a few people who bought such a monitor and are happy.
http://goo.gl/GwPbk7

Just in case: if you are going to buy such a monitor, make sure your
video adapter is capable of driving that high resolution.
In many (most?) laptops, the video adapter can not!

I hope this would be helpful to somebody.
If somebody knows any information about different models/brands, - that
would be appreciated.

Igor