On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 04:25:50PM -0500, Igor Roshchin wrote:

> Every so often some PDMLer mentions that he/she is looking for a
> monitor. I just realized that nobody ever mentioned this new type of
> monitors that look like a good deal.
> They are ultra-high resolution (2560x1440 !), 27" with the
> panel made by Samsung. The monitor itself is manifactured by
> some other company (I see mostly QNIX, X-Star, and don't know the
> difference).
> They are "PLS" which is, as far as I understand is a variation of IPS.
> And the typical price is around $300 or so, including shipping.
>
> The main caveat that they are mainly available from eBay
> (or, which very likely, I am not aware of other sources), and
> _shipped from South Korea_,  which means if you get a lemon, it will
> cost you to return it.
> I've heard about a few people who bought such a monitor and are happy.
> http://goo.gl/GwPbk7

I think these monitors came up in discussion  when I was asking about
third party thunderbolt monitors.

> Just in case: if you are going to buy such a monitor, make sure your
> video adapter is capable of driving that high resolution.
> In many (most?) laptops, the video adapter can not!

Can you drive it at a lower resolution?  Or is it not like CRTs in that regard.

It looks like my 2012 MBP should handle it:
Graphics and Video Support

    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native
resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external
display, both at millions of colors

> I hope this would be helpful to somebody.

It's very helpful, unless I were trying to, you know, pay off my
credit cards or something.

--
Larry Colen                  l...@red4est.com         http://red4est.com/lrc