On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 4:45 PM, CollinB <coll...@brendemuehl.net> wrote:

> When a medium belongs exclusively to the artists then it remains an art
> form.
> But popularity, it seems, destroys art.  (eg, the mobile went from an art
> form to a baby crib toy)
> Kodak is to blame for the change in photography and that was about a century
> ago.
>
> There is a remnant of photographic art.  Some here do it quite well.  Others
> of us just try hard.
>
> Art is more than the individualism of the eye of the beholder.
> Such pomo definitions destroy all meaning.
> Art is a rigorous creation, an image which speaks clearly.

There is no exact scientific definition of art. By that I mean to look
at anything and be able to tell if it's art or not with certainty
according to the definition. Such definition can't be given, but
that's the beauty of it isn't it? It remains to each of us to decide
whether something is art or not, but there are no hard and fast rules
and we might come to different conclusions (this is why the "eye of
the beholder" isn't a proper definition).

Popularity doesn't destroy art unless your definition requires that
art shouldn't be mainstream.

"To evoke in oneself a feeling one has once experienced, and having
evoked it in oneself, then, by means of movements, lines, colors,
sounds, or forms expressed in words, so to transmit that feeling that
others may experience the same feeling — this is the activity of art.
Art is a human activity consisting in this, that one man consciously,
by means of certain external signs, hands on to others feelings he has
lived through, and that other people are infected by these feelings
and also experience them." (Leo Tolstoy)

This is a good definition of the artistic process, describing the
intention of the artist when he creates art. But will the same
feelings be transmitted to the viewers is impossible to tell. I'd say
if he succeeds to evoke any feelings then he created art.

--
Attila