I think he is confusing things.   What defines a "camera" looks like a
problem.
It seems that we view a real camera as one with image controls, any of
tilt/shift/aperture/shutter speed.
So, did the real camera, the view camera as we know it, disappear when Kodak
introduced the Brownie as the point-and-shoot with little or no image
control?
Didn't happen then.  But the miniature formats matured.  Once 135 became too
expensive for the average shooter we got 126, then disc and 110.
Digital is going through the same process -- some things mature and some
deconstruct.  But it is all just a way to get things to the masses.
It would not surprise me if a forthcoming p&s digital will not only include
exposure controls (that was done long ago)
but at the same time being reduced in size to something like a phone with
all the amenities like Bluetooth and WiFi.
What's next?  Who knows.  It all depends on the times and the pocketbooks.