on 2014-02-01 15:49 Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote

If I were doing occasional projects that needed these apps, that's exactly how
I'd work it. And it would take a few years at $50/month for three/four months
per year to equal even the single purchase of Creative Suite, never mind
updates.

you can't do a three/four months per year at $50/month - it is $75/month
without a year's commitment

Sure. Still not a problem. That's $300 for four months use, always with the
latest. Creative Suite was like $1500 or so, so after you use it this way for
five years, you've paid the equivalent of one CS price but no further update
charges. CS would need a $500 update every 18 months or so on the perpetual
license. To me that is a bargain if I'm getting the work I need done with it.

you're right, that price would be attractive for the right customers; not much use to those like me who would have light usage not limited to specific months of the year

as to how it compares to the old pricing model, there were strategies, such as updating every two or three versions (Adobe still discounted such upgrades), or keeping one or two apps more current with individual licenses, and deals such as the ID CS4 license i bought through Larry's Adobe contact, or the CS2 license i had via a local company with a 5-seat volume license … in other words there was relief for who didn't have a business case for the full price