I was an airborne radar intercept officer.  I was trained to use
Sparrow and Sidewinder missiles in air-to-air combat.  While I never
was sent up against a Vulcan, I know enough about it to say that it
would be a fairly easy target, big and slow.  The 104 would be a bit
harder, but since it had a turning radius bigger that the orbit of
Mars, not difficult to outmaneuver.  We had radar controlled missiles
to fire head-on from 3 to 10 miles away, and heat-guided missiles to
fire from .5 to 1.5 miles behind another aircraft.

Dan Matyola