that was still a damn good deal, even in '66 considering it had the 426 hemi
and 3 on the floor.

On 2/22/2014 3:42 PM, John wrote:
Not a Superbird, not even a Road Runner - a 1966 Belvedere II 2-dr, but
with a 426 Hemi & 3-speed on the floor manual transmission. I don't know
why, but that's what it was.

I think it was the same platform that would in later years be used for
the Road Runner & Superbird, but this particular model was at least a
couple of years before that happened.

It was still the days when Dodge was the brand little old spinster
school teachers drove ("The Little Old Lady from Pasadena" not
withstanding) because they stopped making DeSotos in 1960. The Chrysler
300 was a preacher's car because Cadillacs were too flashy for a "man
of the cloth" who didn't want to be seen putting on airs. Not much more
than a year after the debut of the Ford Mustang & the Plymouth Barracuda
was still regarded as just a sporty version Plymouth Valiant.

Prices went up a whole lot later on, but it was cheap because it wasn't
that popular (YET).

Keep in mind that at that time Durham, NC was a small town whose major
"industry" was the manufacture of cigarettes & as a market town for
tobacco farmers. It sat on the showroom floor the whole of my junior
year in high school; a good nine months which is a long time for a
dealer to have a vehicle sitting on the lot.