No, the price I remember was for a *1966* Plymouth Belvedere II that I
was reminded of by the original posting. The Daytona and/or the
Superbird had not yet been introduced when I was in high school.

The 1966 Belvedere II with a 426 Hemi preceded the Dodge Charger Daytona
model by three-and-a-half years (four years for the Plymouth Superbird)
and was simply a very plain, bare bones, 2-door automobile with a big
ass engine shoe-horned in under the hood.

According to what I read today, the 426 Hemi was introduced to NASCAR in
1964, but Chrysler was not allowed to use it for the 1965 season because
it wasn't available in a production vehicle.

Chrysler fixed that in the 1966 model year by offering the 426 Hemi as
an option on the 1966 Belvedere II and the low price I saw may have
reflected something of a loss leader to sell enough of them in a short
enough time to meet NASCAR's requirements.

By the time the Charger Daytona and Plymouth Superbird came along,
Chrysler didn't need to encourage those sales to meet NASCAR's
requirements; the "muscle-car" phenomenon had caught on by then.