The Americans always have strong teams and you always bring your best game to
us.

For a hundred years or more hockey has been "our game". While we weren't
watching the rest of the world (the cold world, anyway) started playing and
improving and all of a sudden thirty years ago guys with names like Mogilny,
Federov, Salming, Hasek and Koivu started playing here and dominating.

Oh yeah, guys like Brian Leech, too.

It was a shock.

When I was a kid every NHL player was Canadian except two Americans and they
were journeymen.

Now I doubt that Canadians comprise more than 50% of the league, probably less.

Hockey is engrained in our national psyche in a way you can't imagine; like
baseball might have been in the US up to the 1950s.

So when we win internationally it's a big deal around here. And to beat our
close friends and natural rivals it's all the sweeter.

:-)

Cheers,
frank

On 22 February, 2014 2:31:56 PM EST, "Daniel J. Matyola" <danmaty...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Well, that's about as surprising as the Dutch wins in speed skating.
><G>
>Dan Matyola
>http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/danieljmatyola
>
>> On 21/02/2014, knarf <knarftheria...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Men's.
>>>
>>> Women's.
>>>
>>> Canada vs. USA.
>>>
>>> 'Nuff said...

“Analysis kills spontaneity.” -- Henri-Frederic Amiel