Quoting knarf <knarftheria...@gmail.com>:

Many cities and towns lay claim to holding the first hockey game. Halifax thinks they had it. Montreal does, too. A very plausible theory has the first game in Kingston, Ontario between Montreal's McGill University (an alma mater of mine, which is why it's likely true) and Royal Military College.

Truth is it evolved from earlier forms of shinny or grass hockey so it's a matter of conjecture as to when it crystalized into ice hockey.

Whatever, we've been playing it for a long time and the game almost certainly began somewhere here (although some New England town claims it, too!). I think it's great that it's become so internationally loved.

I was going to say that ice hockey isn't widely loved downunder but I thought I should check first. Turns out that there is an Australian Ice Hockey Federation (www.iha.org.au/view/iha) with six State-based teams. Who would have guessed?

The game gets almost no coverage in the press here - except when there's a particularly spectacular brawl in one of the Northern Hemisphere games.... - so I have no idea how popular it is.

Even Field Hockey only gets moderate coverage even though Australian teams are in the top half dozen internationally.

--
Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters