On 22 Feb 2014, at 22:41, "Steve Cottrell" <co...@seeingeye.tv> wrote:

> On 22/2/14, Bob W-PDML, discombobulated, unleashed:
>
>> When I got my first programming job, in 1982, it was at a site which ran
>> an old ICL mainframe. We had a paper-roll teletype, and submitted jobs
>> on paper-tape, including our source code, which was either COBOL or the
>> ICL assembler, called PLAN, which we wrote in pencil on coding sheets.
>>
>> These were punched to tape by a roomful of data prep clerks, all women,
>> many of whom could read the tape very easily. The other 2 programmers
>> and I had to learn to read it well enough to be able to find the
>> segments we had to cut out where there were compilation errors.
>>
>> We also had to punch the corrections by hand with a spike on a kind of
>> clamp thing, then sellotape that segment back into place on the rest of
>> the tape.
>>
>> You had to be very careful with your coding and your cutting and
>> splicing because we only got one day a week on the computer, Tuesday
>> evenings after 5pm, when we stayed till about midnight.
>>
>> For short tapes used for job control (not JCL, which was an IBM thing)
>> when you'd got the tape right you could copy it to a strip of expensive
>> blue tape, which was reinforced and could stand to be run over and over,
>> whereas the ordinary tape would break after a few runs. It was very
>> impressive to watch a program you'd written processing the tape, and
>> once you'd run it a few times you could tell by the rhythm which part of
>> the program was executing.
>
> Clearly you didn't do this for kicks.

That was the time I discovered my inner nerd. I'd never even seen a computer
until 3 months before starting that job, when I was forced onto a
govt-sponsored training course. Until then I had intended to waste my life
sitting at terrace bars in Saint-Germain des Prés talking bollocks in French to
dark-haired girls in berets.

Unfortunately I couldn't persuade anyone to pay me to do that, so I had to get
a job instead, and to my considerable surprise I turned out to be quite good at
it.

Which is probably a good thing for the world, otherwise I might have had to
write a book and win the Prix Goncourt or something.