On 3/2/2014 8:53 PM, Bill wrote:
On 02/03/2014 7:39 PM, Bruce Walker wrote:
On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 8:20 PM, Bill <anotherdrunken...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 02/03/2014 6:22 PM, Bruce Walker wrote:

BTW, sadly I lost the content of that "damaged formating" card. I
could see the images when the card was in the K-3 but nothing I did
allowed me to extract that data, even over a USB cable. I was sorely
pissed off.

If the camera could read them, did you try to process the files in camera
and have it write to new files which might be usable??

I'm not even aware of that capability. I never muck about with shots
in-camera. Would have been worth trying if I could coerce the camera
to copy the file from the "bad" card to a 2nd one.

But if it only writes back to the same card this wouldn't have helped
as the Mac refused to have anything to do with the card at all. Which
itself is unusual as repairing damaged formating has always been
supported for USB sticks and floppies, etc.

Rob, you should try this processing trick if it can be done.

Also, would it be better to replace both cards at the same time rather than
just one?

I only had a single brand new SanDisk 32Gig 45mb/s Extreme (like
Rob's) to start with, which is the one that experienced this problem.
I bought a second identical one, formatted both in camera, and have
been using them together without a hitch since. I wasn't about to toss
the card considering the price and that it was likely only a soft
formatting issue of some kind. But by enabling dual-write I figured I
was safe to continue going to see what would happen.

The other dumb question, of course, is can the files be transferred by plugging the camera directly into a computer?

bill

Does the "value" justify use of data recovery service?

Otis