On 3/3/2014 1:57 PM, Alan C wrote:
I use only 4GB cards & store them when full as an extra backup so I
actually don't need to erase and/or re-format.
Is there really any difference between pre-formatted, computer formatted
or camera formatted cards?

Alan C

I don't know if there's any difference. I did once have a problem where the camera wouldn't read/write a card that was formatted on the computer until I reformatted it in the camera.

I use 4GB cards for my K10D and 8GB cards for my K20D. I have 10 of each so that I don't have to erase images while traveling (although I do back them up to a laptop & an external drive), but if I never erased the photos from the cards I would eventually be overwhelmed with keeping track of the cards.

Since I do erase from the cards, I've found formatting cards in the camera to be the most convenient workflow for me. When I'm shooting around town, I have one card in the battery grip & one in the camera. I can swap them if I fill one of them up.

When I get home, I download the photos and then reformat the cards in the camera.

-----Original Message----- From: John
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2014 5:18 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: K3 card failure

I don't know if you NEED to reformat, but it's the quickest surest way
I've found for erasing old images from cards & getting them ready for
next use.

On 3/3/2014 7:17 AM, Alan C wrote:
I had a problem with a 4GB SanDisk SDHC card in the K7. I could see the
images just fine in camera (in the K110D too) but couldn't download via
USB or a card reader. I eventually recovered the 93 images with a Win7
recovery routine but it took over an hour and the files were renumbered
from 001 to 093. I could not reformat the card so I binned it. Does one
really need to reformat cards in-camera? I have never done that - I just
use them as purchased.

Alan C