On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 1:04 AM, John <johnsess...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I mentioned here before that I have acquired a Mac Mini that's supposed to
> be a little home recording studio. I'm getting ready to un-box it and set it
> up, and I already know I'm going to have to connect it to the internet for
> software authentication. (I've been reading the manual ... gives a whole new
> meaning to "fine print".)
>
> Anyway, I "know" Macs aren't supposed to get viruses, but I'd rather be safe
> than sorry.
>
> So, before I take the plunge & plug it in, I'd like suggestions for
> anti-virus software for the Mac.

Try this: http://clamxav.com/

FWIW to you, I don't use any AV software on Mac OS X and never have. I
am a veteran of both Mac OS X and antivirus technology, having been
the principal architect of a corporate network messaging security
product for a firewall company (Borderware). I have used Mac OS X from
when it was NeXTSTEP and then OpenStep. The security model is UNIX's;
clean, understandable, robust and time-proven.

You should enable the Mac's firewall for extra protection, especially
if you don't trust your network router's firewall. Go to System
Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Firewall

Also see:
https://www.apple.com/osx/what-is/security.html

> Also, do Macs have a "hosts" file?
>
> On Windoze, I use a robust "hosts" file to block unwanted SPAM & Malware
> sites.

Yes: /etc/hosts

John, how familiar are you with UNIX, Linux and/or FreeBSD? If you are
a UNIX person, you can get very far by assuming UNIX behaviour for
things like networking and general OS questions. So your hosts text
file is /etc/hosts just like it's been since the Berkeley days.

You should get familiar with /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
which is a terrific straightforward command line environment. The
default shell is /bin/bash.

See:
http://www.mactip.net/how-to-edit-the-hosts-file-on-a-mac/

You can use vi/vim to edit if you prefer.

Keep in mind that Mac OS X is a significantly evolved UNIX. The order
of name lookups and what sources to consult (eg BIND/named) are
controlled by a network services daemon.

Read this as it may save you a bunch of annoyance:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6841421/mac-osx-lion-dns-lookup-order

--
-bmw