On 3/12/2014 10:35 PM, steve harley wrote:
on 2014-03-12 18:00 John wrote
I downloaded OS X 10.9.2 and made the Unibeast 8GB USB backup.

i know about tonymac86, but i had to learn about Unibeast; it sounds
 like you want to preserve the installer for use on a non-Apple
machine (hackintosh); that should be irrelevant to your Mini, but as
you've introduced unexplained variables, it's hard to be sure

But do I need to use the USB drive to install OS X 10.9.2?

you can install it directly; that process will then delete the
installer, but you've got a backup, as i understand it, in the
Unibeast; otherwise i would suggest you make a simple backup of the
installer before running it; unless you have really fast internet
service

I got errors saying I had to enable Javascript to register. Does
Safari not have Javascript? I couldn't find anything useful in the
help, but that may be because I didn't know where to look.

Safari has JavaScript, and normally it's on, so i suspect you somehow
 turned it off; the tonymac86 registration page uses JavaScript for a
 captcha - do you see a "Image Verification" section without an image
- that would explain it

i'd just turn JavaScript back on; preferences for most applications
are in the "application" menu, which is on the left next to the Apple
menu, under the application name; command-comma is the keyboard
shortcut to preferences; if that doesn't work, perhaps your hosts
file is blocking some necessary JS?

I don't know how I would have turned it off. I didn't change any
preferences in Safari. I just opened it & typed "tonymacx86" in the
default search bar

The only things I've changed so far are the sleep time out & which way
the scroll wheel on the mouse works (so it would scroll the same way I'm
used to on Windoze).

I haven't installed a hosts file on the Mac mini yet. Nor an anti-virus
program. Figured I'd take care of the necessary Apple updates first.

I could see the captcha & when I clicked the "get a new challenge"
button it changed the captcha. So JavaScript must have been working.
Don't know why the error then, but I found a work around.

I've made a note to look at Safari's preferences.