On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 6:36 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> On Mar 14, 2014, at 5:31 AM, Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I do see some of the background illumination getting onto your subject
>> though; visible along the (camera) right hand edges. Subject is
>> perhaps a little too close to the background?
>
> I’m not seeing blue light on the subject.  What am I missing?

On closer inspection of the 1440x960 image, it might not be what I
thought. Maybe JPEG artifacting or slight sharpening halo. If you look
real close at the right-most bit of tentacle, along the very edge, in
the fuzz, it looks like the blue is getting into the lighter colour
there. But even along the edge of the dark support he's on I see
something odd that suggests compression haloing.

> The gelled strobe was about 2 feet from the backdrop, with barn doors
> directing light. The subject was bout five feet from the jelled strobe and 7
> feet from the backdrop.

That should be plenty of distance to prevent background spill onto the subject.

> The light that was supposed to be the rim light ended up being a fill from
> behind and to the right of the subject. Maybe for a rim light on a small
> subject I should have used a gridded strobe rather than a soft box?

That would certainly work. Even a bare flash with simple barn doors
should work. You just need to keep flare out of the lens.

--
-bmw