> From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of John Coyle
>
> To be honest, it does nothing for me.  Additionally:
> There is no strong focal point
> The right-hand side is blown out (on my monitor at least).
> There is a confused out-of-focus area on the left hand side, which seems
> contain a pair of socks
> hung over a rail.   Does not contribute to the shot, IMO.
>
> Sorry to be totally negative, this one is so far removed from your other
work
> in standard and content.

No need to apologise. I'm not the sort of person who asks for opinions then
gets upset when they are negative.

It is indeed far from the type of thing I normally post, and that is one of
the reasons why I asked people to comment.

I will itemise it. I took it yesterday morning in the Café Rouge in York,
which Rick is familiar with, while I was having my morning espresso. It's
one of a series that I took because I liked the raking sunlight, the shadows
and confusion of reflections and people outside.

The person in the foreground is a woman, shielding her eyes from the sun as
she looks outside at or for something. The dark circles are the shadows of
the word 'Croque', from 'Croque Monsieur', although they could easily have
been the shadows of the Mysterons! The man reflected in the window was
sharing the table with her, and I assume that they are married to each
other. The 'socks' - which I hadn't noticed until you pointed them out, and
which I thought was funny - are the black paint and blacker shade of a
doorway on the other side of the street, running into the black hair of the
passer-by.

On my screens nothing is washed out, and there's no clipping in Lightroom.

You and Steve H both said 'noir'; Darren mentioned Dali; others have used
words like 'unsettling' and 'intriguing', as well as 'a mess' and so on,
which are all very interesting comments.

When I saw it I thought it looked like a film still, something from which
people would construct a narrative. It also has a strong element of collage,
to me. However, I thought I might be making something out of a sow's ear, so
I thought I'd throw it out there.

Over the last few weeks we have studied Godard's film 'Pierrot le Fou',
which I love, so perhaps I am photographing while under the influence. The
film engendered a very lively discussion at the class last week, and I
thought it was very interesting that people who can accept Picasso, and Pop
Art and other 'difficult' stuff in traditional media struggle with Godard,
who is doing a similar thing with cinema. Pierrot le Fou plays with
narrative structure, and is a collage - a mess, if you like - with intent,
and malice aforethought. It is an extraordinarily rich film, which positions
itself in all sorts of ways, not least in opposition to traditional
Hollywood cinema.

Now, as it happens, on Saturday night I went to see '12 Years a Slave' which
has been getting rave reviews, 3 Oscars including Best Picture, and so on.
And whilst I enjoyed the film I came away rather disappointed because I
don't think it has much depth beyond the story-telling and the obvious
"wasn't slavery a bad thing!". I'd be very surprised if in 50 years' time
people are still talking and writing about it. I'd be very surprised if
people are still talking and writing about it in one years' time. Yet Godard
lasts.

Alongside all of that, I look at modern Magnum photographers like Paolo
Peregrin, Jonas Bendiksen, Alex Majoli and others who are doing really
interesting things, and I look at my pictures and I think to myself 'my
pictures are in a timewarp'. They're often nicely composed and interesting,
but in a classical way, and I'm rather bored with them, just as I'm rather
bored with the type of cinema that gives best picture to films like '12
Years a Slave', and no-one seems to be doing anything as interesting as
'Pierrot le Fou'.

So, there it is. Thanks for your thoughts, and if anyone wants to post more,
please do - all very gratefully received, and read with interest.