John -

I shot PEF's on my *ist-D and K-10D as well. My workflow eventually was to run them through Adobe DNG converter before editing and then discard the PEF's and work form the DNG's only. The *ist-D only offered PEF RAW files and and the K10D offers DNG's but they are uncompressed - I found it was better to shoot smaller PEF's, save space on the memory card, and then convert. The DNG's from ADOBE DNG converter could be much smaller than either the PEF's or the K10D DNG's. I don't know for the K20D since I have never used one.

If you want DNG raw files and also to optimize drive space you might want to use the DNG converter for the K-10D files. Some time ago I had a mini project of converting all PEF's to DNG's and freed up what at the time was a lot of disk space.

Like I said, don't know about the K20. You can test file sizes easily, of course.

Mark