On Mar 26, 2014, at 6:03 PM, Mark C <pdml-m...@charter.net> wrote:

> This weekend I installed Ubuntu on my scanning PC - tonight I finally fired
> up the scanner running the linux version of VueScan and it is churning away,
> batch scanning 12 35mm exposures. Great!
>
> So far this meets all my main goals -
>
> - Dual Boot with WinXp so I can run old NikonScan and Canon Filmget programs.
> - Supports Vuescan (which I use for most scanning these days)
> - Access USB drives >2TB (something my WInXP install could not do and needed
> to access my photo library)
> - Platform for a backup PC to my my box (which XP could not do since it could
> not access my photo libraries)
>
> I am still having problems getting the screen resolution set properly (seems
> to be an issue in Ubuntu)...
>
> Before I get too deep into this -

Ciprian gave a thorough reply, but throwing in my two cents..

> After installing Unbuntu I learned that there are several other linux builds
> out there. Is there one better suited for photo processing?

There are two main families of distributions out there, based on how software
packages are installed:  Debian  (apt) and RedHat (RPM). I have a slight
preference for the debian families.  in theory, running ubuntu, you should be
able to install any software packaged using .deb/apt packaging.

> Are there any good LInux Photo Editors out there?  I am scanning B&W and need
> something that support 16 bit gray scale, which I think excludes Gimp.

You may want to check out bibble, though I see that they are now part of corel:
http://www.bibblelabs.com/

Six years ago the other big stumbling block was monitor calibration, though it
seems to be much better now.  I’m afraid that when the dust settles, it’s very
hard to beat lightroom.

> Can anyone recommend a primer on Linux?  I able to get around DOS pretty well
> and the command line interface is similar, but when I try to do things like
> install software I am more or less aping what I read with no real
> comprehension (well, what else in new….)

Try to find a local Linux users group. They can be very helpful.   I think I
may have just tossed out the first several years of the Linux Journal, but
their online presence may be very helpful.

Two commands that you want to learn are
“man” and “apropos”.

man commandname
will give you the manual page for the command “commandname”.  So, a good place
to start is
man man
you will also want to try
man apt-get

apropos searchterm
will list all commands that have “searchterm” in their summary.  So, try typing
apropos apt

What it really does is a command called “grep”, which is a little arcane and
amazingly powerful.  It prints out any lines that match the search string you
type in. Actually the “regular expression”.

There were some incredibly helpful tutorials on unix etc dating back to the
70’s. The best suggestion I can make is if you can find someone locally to just
give you a hands on guided tour.  For what it’s worth, just about anything that
you learn for the command prompt (bash) on Linux, also works on the Mac command
prompt.

For what it’s worth, I think I just recently hit my 20 year mark of running
Linux.