On 3/27/14 13:25, Mark C wrote:
On 3/27/2014 2:48 AM, Ciprian Dorin Craciun wrote:
On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 3:03 AM, Mark C <pdml-m...@charter.net> wrote:
This weekend I installed Ubuntu on my scanning PC - tonight I finally fired up the scanner running the linux version of VueScan and it is churning away,
[ ... ]
I've been trying to wrap my head around the basic design of Linux - thinks like sudo and chmod were totally alien to me. Ditto with the different command prompts based on the status of user permissions. Makes sense one you unravel it but it is not intuitive, to me at least. Starting to get an understanding of it.... The only program I actually installed myself - VueScan - is sitting in the downloads folder. So even things like figuring out where to install programs is a mystery (I assume they should go somewhere in the usr folder...)
Actually, for this kind of thing, the recommended location these days is /opt, or a sub-directory of /opt named after the software vendor.

Most of the time you shouldn't think about this, though, but instead use software packages that have built-in target locations. You probably want to find out more about about APT and "software repositories" (a.k.a. "repos"). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Packaging_Tool might be a good starting point...

- Toralf
But part of my motivation for using this was to learn it in hopes of someday unshackling from Windows completely.

Thanks again

Mark