The other side of openness is that it's not just the good guys who can read the
code and find bugs to exploit. The bad guys also have arguably a stronger
motivation, money, to find them than the good guys who are rewarded by a warm
fuzzy feeling.

If the code is not published then you can only use black box testing to find
the bugs, along with the nous that comes from experience of the types of
mistakes that programmers routinely make. It's far easier in my experience to
find bugs using white box as well as black box testing, but it works the same
way for the goodies and the baddies.