So, after last weekend's fun in the woods I've bought a purpose-built
cyclocross frameset, which I will build up to use as an off-road-only bike to
avoid damaging my custom Roberts audax.

This will be the first time I've built a bike from the frame & forks up. The
idea is to have a relatively cheap way to teach myself maintenance without
screwing up the Roberts, on a bike that is both similar enough for the exercise
to be valuable, but different enough not to be duplicating wastefully.

Here's a vid of the sort of fun you can have with a second bike:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H9_Fs1QtsOY

The commentary is magnificent, if you can understand the accent.