Locally, until about 10 years ago, geysers were routinely installed in the roof. Ours go back to 1968 so have copper tanks which totally circumvent the corrosion problem. They have no geyser trays either! The advent of cheaper geysers with steel tanks has led to the type of problems under discussion. Trays are now routinely fitted but very recently I see external, wall mounted geysers and/or solar geysers. As Mark says, regular replacement of the sacrificial anode (the frequency depends on the hardness of the water) should greatly increase the life of a geyser but it is such a schlepp, few people actually do it & then pay the price. Gas heaters (hot water on demand) are becoming quite popular too but there is no piped gas here so one has to be prepared to lug around heavy cylinders.

Alan C

-----Original Message----- From: Jeffery Johnson
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:06 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: OT: STRESSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my wish we could have afforded to had to put on the covered back
porch but there would have been additional plumbing and electrical work
so would have been way way more.
On 4/21/2014 6:59 PM, Mark C wrote:
Flushing helps but I think a lot depends on your water supply, whether or not you soften the water or do other filtration, and how you use hot water (long showers that drain the tank completely shorten the life.) I recently had mine serviced due to a slow leak in the pressure relief valve and the plumber said to flush that valvue once a year as well as flushing the tank. Also said to check the sacrificial anode rod every few years....

Mark