You just described what png should have been except that it became a bloated misbegotten camel from a committee trying to design a horse.

On 5/15/2014 1:06 PM, John wrote:
There needs to be a file format that would be just like JPEG but without the lossy compression?

Get it to the size you want before saving in that format and then even if the "client" re-sized it & saved it over and over again it wouldn't lose quality.