Hi Julia,

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002 21:55:15 -0400, J. Gerace wrote:

>I noticed that there are these little black spots when I look through
>the lens - they're not on the lens and they don't show on the photos.
> The guy at the shop said they were little paint flecks from inside the
>camera on some mirror piece?  (as you can tell, I'm unsure of all the
>correct terms - sorry!)

If the black spots are quite fuzzy they could be on the mirror, which is
located right behind the lens and you can clearly see it when you take
the lens off the camera. It reflects the light up to the focusing-screen where
the viewfinder directs it to your eye ...

Another possibility is that they are located inside the viewfinder somewhere.
I am not sure if the MZ-M has a real glass prism or the (cheaper) penta-mirror.
If it has a penta-mirror it could be on one of its surfaces somewhere.

If they are really sharp edged, they are probably on or very near to
the focusing-screen itself. That is the flat transparent surface you can
see through the lens-mount on the top-side of the camera directly under
the viewfinder. It is actually what you are looking at through the viewfinder.
On the MZ-M it probably has a focusing-aid in the center too.

Anyway, where ever they are, do NOT try to remove them with anything
mechanical like a brush. Those parts are very easily scratched!

A better way would be to blow them away using (clean!) air only.

Regards, JvW