Darren,

Many people have already chimed in and the leader photo is clear.
But I thought I'd add my comments in case they'd be useful.

My first reaction (I looked at the photos on my phone) was that
the champion would be between #3 and #4, and #1 would be the next.
And when I was choosing between #3 and #4 I chose the latter, because of
the more dramatic contrast.
But then when I looked more carefully, I noticed that #3 was actually in
color (and I liked those colors), while #4 was in B&W.
And at that point I thought that in the current state #1 is winning.

But, if #3 could be played with a bit so that the contrast between the
tree and the background cloud stands out (the tree sort of glows
in #4), that would be a more powerful rendition of that photo.
I am not sure how to do that, but I would try playing with the
selective sharpening (in LR that would involve moving "masking" slider
very much to the right).

Overall, I see several powerful images!

And a few other comments:
I don't have problems with the horizon (as somebody else has commented)
or leaning trees. (And I am usually sensitive to these issues,
especially in somebody else's photos. ;-) )
As for #5, what is missing for me is the ground at the bottom.
That tower is hanging in the air.

HTH,

Igor

Wed Jul 9 13:18:49 EDT 2014