The shelter seems to have been there for a good long time:

http://theclaydons.org.uk/the-history/photographs-of-botolph-and-east-claydon

A bit of googlage tells me it's called the Mushroom Seat, in a village whose
bell-tower is called The Mushroom, and whose pub is called the Mushroom Club.

It makes me wonder which is the local psychotropic drug of choice.