Thanks Eric (and others).

Actually, the first one (and all of the ones in my first 5 minutes or so of
shooting) was underexposed and adjusted in LR later. I had had exposure
compensation set to -1.3 for some shots of the sunset the evening before. I saw
the loon, came in to get my camera, mount the extender and lens, set mode to
AV, checked the ISO. Got the tripod, went out on the dock, saw that I was
getting decent shutter speeds with that ISO, started shooting. Once I realized
he would be there a while, I took a deep breath and re-checked including a look
at the histograms to verify that the exposure was about right. Oops! Zeroed the
compensation and went on with the shooting. I considered upping the ISO at that
point to get back to a higher speed but decided not to do that. A total of
about 120 shots over a 15 minute time span around 6:00pm. Fifteen or so keepers
in the set.

stan