On Jul 22, 2014, at 7:00 PM, Charles Robinson <charl...@visi.com> wrote:

> I'm going to be taking a trip with the wife to Washington, DC in late
> September.
>
> I anticipate that it will be many days of walking and biking around, and I'm
> thinking I might want something more comfortable/convenient than a standard
> camera bag -- not only because they have just the one strap so they're always
> hanging off of a shoulder (or over your neck), but also think it might be
> convenient to be able to carry a windbreaker, or water bottle, or other
> sundries with me.
>
> I don't picture carrying a LOT of camera gear with me - but I do anticipate
> wanting at least one alternate/telephoto lens for the K5 (16-50 is my daily
> lens) with me, as well as the P&S and other stuff. NOT a laptop, not a lot of
> flash gear, not a tripod.
>
> Searching around Amazon, I've come across the Lowepro "Fastpack 200" (not the
> newer 250) and it seems like just the ticket.  A bit of camera gear in the
> bottom section, and "regular stuff" up top.
>
> It looks like access to the innards of the bag is relatively straightforward
> when you need to root around for extra gear (most backpacks make you take
> them off and lay them carefully on the ground before opening them up), and I
> like the "quick access" for pulling out the camera/lens combo if you've been
> walking around with the camera stowed.
>
> Has anyone here used these, or anything similar to them?  Good? Bad?
> Suggestions?

I’ve been using the Fastpak 350 as my daily bag for something like 6 years now.
 I originally bought it because it was one of the few bags that had a pocket
that was suitable for putting things like my wallet and phone in.  The one
downside is that it does not have good straps for attaching a tripod.

I finally figured out this trick, by clipping the tripod to the handle at the
top and looping the carry strap over the tripod and under the straps for the
small covered pouch.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157632665692043

My benro/Induro 5 section carbon fiber monopod fits in the computer pocket with
the ball head removed.

My first one died, and was replace under warranty with no problems.

People hardly ever complain because their camera bag has a little bit more room
than they need.