Quoting John Coyle <jco...@iinet.net.au>:

Looking to tap the collective wisdom of the list, as I'm a bit out of touch with the equipment area. One of my granddaughters is showing an increasing interest in photography, and is outgrowing the compact digital and the iPad gear she has been using, and will probably be given a new camera for her birthday next month: my question is what would the list recommend in these circumstances? I don't believe an SLR is the right configuration, but perhaps a mirrorless or 4/3 which could also use some of my Pentax lenses would be the go? Cost is also a consideration, as her twin sister will
be one of the contributors to buying it for her!
TIA

Without knowing the budget, it's a bit difficult.

The Olympus Pen Lite (E-PL5) might be a good choice if $600 or thereabouts is not too much. There is a cheaper Pen but it's mainly menu driven and probably a bit limiting. Pentax lenses can be used with a Pentax K - Micro 4/3 adapter (only in manual focus mode), which can be had on Ebay for about 20 bucks. None of the Pens have an eye-level viewfinder although there is a clip-on electronic viewfinder available (adds about $200).

Another option could be the Lumix G5 - a bit more expensive than the E-PL5 but it has a built-in electronic viewfinder.

I'd suggest taking a look at Digital Camera Warehouse's web site - it has pretty much all the current mirrorless options listed so you can compare prices and features.

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/

--
Cheers

Brian