"The larger pixel size means that each pixel
can collect physically more light. The more light per pixel, the
better the signal to noise ratio for that pixel and so that pixel will
more accurately detect the incoming light than a smaller pixel would."

I think this idea of bigger/fewer pixels leading directly, as in
through the very basic physics of photon noise, to lower noise is
wrong-headed.  I couldn't care less what the signal-to-noise ratio of
_pixels in my sensor_ is.  What I care about is the SNR of pixels in
the output image, whether that be an image displayed on a screen or
the dots made by a printer.  A camera with more pixels will have more
of those pixels averaged together in each pixel of a given final
output image, and it all comes out in the wash.

This is not to say that all sensors are equal.  Just that the amount
of light collected by each pixel of the sensor isn't what matters.

(Darren, I am ranting at petapixel, not you.)