The DP review hands on points out a few foibles of this design, which I expect shows that Ricoh expects that this camera will never be used out of some automatic mode.

I think this also shows that Ricoh had decided to standardize on one viewfinder, no matter what body you buy, you get the Top of the Line viewfinder. Based pm the specifications they were putting the K-5 viewfinder in the K-30/50/500 bodies. It's probably less expensive to just make one viewfinder and use it in every camera than differentiate them.

Hopefully this isn't the K-50 replacement but is a supplemental body aimed at hipsters, and Japanese school girls, though I thought that Ricoh had the latter market sewed up with the Q, that a K50 replacement with a lot of the same guts, as far as imaging train, will be released and an entry level K500 replacement will also be forthcoming.

On 8/28/2014 7:26 AM, Stanley Halpin wrote:
>From Adorama:

...the K-S1 incorporates a newly designed 20 megapixel image sensor, super-high
sensitivity ISO 51200. In addition this model contains in-body shake reduction, an
AA filter simulator, 100% field of view glass pentaprism viewfinder, and 5.4 frames
per second shooting at a fast 1/6000 shutter speed. Adding to the user experience is
the camera's unique flat field user interface, which integrates a back-lit LED
selection dial, four-way navigation, and a bright 3" 921,000 dot LCD that
breaks tradition of the knobs and buttons found on traditional DSLR cameras.

The PENTAX K-S1 is designed to attract a mid-level customer who is accustomed
to a mobile interface and is looking for a similar interaction in a DSLR. The
simple UI eliminates many of the complexities of a DSLR and provides immediate
feedback including shooting parameters, filter selection and effect modes, even
in total darkness. The camera's power switch, mode dial, OK button and grip all
feature LED illumination; each of which indicates the current status of camera
operation. This intuitive UI and design combined with category leading
technology delivers a powerful imaging engine that is simple to use.

$797 with kit lens.
stan

immortality through not dying.
-- Woody Allen