Bruce, regarding your brother-in-law's situation, I have taken the
liberty of submitting a question:
http://ask.metafilter.com/268234/Inheritance-Tax-on-estimated-value-of-photo-negatives-left-behind-WUTT
It will be interesting to see if any expert answers are submitted. If
nothing else, one would think that there would be some sort of system
in place for such works to be donated to a library or alma mater so
that they could at least not be lost to history. Destroying them seems
to be a bit of a "scorched earth" policy. I have to believe that there
are Estate Planners that could suggest something more reasonable.

Regarding the lawyer inserting himself, I agree with what others have
expressed. The legal system will welcome, with open arms, the
opportunity to extract any wealth from the situation that they can. I
think an argument could be made that Vivian Maier's work had
essentially NO economic value until that value was created by the work
of Mr. Maloof (and others) in publicizing her work. The lawyer in
involved himself in tracking down the alleged closer relative is no
different than any other "ambulance chaser" lawyer, IMHO.

I think we need to be careful before we deify Mr. Maloof, however. He
is clearly a shrewd operator, given the way he has generated and
leveraged media attention (etc.) into a book, a movie, and print
sales, exhibits, etc. I was not aware, for example, that Vivian Maier
was still alive (but hospitalized, apparently) when her storage locker
stuff was sold. This page is interesting (and provides a lot of other
links related to Vivian Maier and her work)
http://faculty.wcas.northwestern.edu/~plbannos/VivianMaier.html

Never having gotten to see the Finding Vivian Maier movie, I just
purchased the DVD. I was also not aware of the BBC program "The Vivian
Maier Mystery". That is an hour long program which is available to
watch on Amazon video (and maybe NetFlix?) Here is the IMDB page for
it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3252208/

FINALLY, a while back I referred to an article by Kevin Coffee on the
ethics for the journal "Museum Management and Curatorship" regarding
work like Vivian Maier's.
That article, entitled "Misplaced: ethics and the photographs of
Vivian Maier" can be found here:

The file 'VivianMaier_K_Coffee.pdf' (215 KB) is available for download at
<
http://dropbox.unl.edu/uploads/20140924/41a4684ff30b1ef8/VivianMaier_K_Coffee.pdf

for the next 14 days.
It will be removed after Wednesday, September 24, 2014.

--
Photographers must learn not to be ashamed to have their photographs
look like photographs.