There is or was an aurora on, as seen from Nova Scotia. I went out just
before 9pm and noticed a diffuse glow along the northern horizon. It
stayed that way for awhile but when it started to brighten and show
some structure I went back to the house and got the K-3 with my trusty
old Tamron 17mm/3.5 (my widest prime). At one point a spike extended
almost up to Polaris (45 degrees at my latitude). As the impending
moonrise approached, though, the sky brightened and the display faded
away. Anyway, got some decent pictures which I will post one of these
days.

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 18:34:36 -0500, Darren Addy wrote:
> We had, not one, but TWO earth-directed CMEs last week and the first
> is already causing an awesome geomagnetic storm. If you are 40th
> latitude or above (and maybe farther south) it may be worth your time
> to venture out of city lights tonight and take some 15-30 second
> exposures of the northern horizon. You may be surprised at what you
> see.
>
> The 2nd CME was ejected from the sun faster than the first and is
> expected to deliver a rare potent ONE-TWO punch to the magnetosphere
> (possibly overnight). I'm leaving shortly to head 100 miles west or so
> where I have probably clear skies tonight.
>
> For all your aurora needs: http://www.solarham.net/
---

Steven Sharpe - The Office Gallery

d...@eastlink.ca