We had, not one, but TWO earth-directed CMEs last week and the first
is already causing an awesome geomagnetic storm. If you are 40th
latitude or above (and maybe farther south) it may be worth your time
to venture out of city lights tonight and take some 15-30 second
exposures of the northern horizon. You may be surprised at what you
see.

The 2nd CME was ejected from the sun faster than the first and is
expected to deliver a rare potent ONE-TWO punch to the magnetosphere
(possibly overnight). I'm leaving shortly to head 100 miles west or so
where I have probably clear skies tonight.

For all your aurora needs: http://www.solarham.net/

Specifically: current conditions http://www.solarham.net/oval.htm
and forecast: http://www.solarham.net/planetk.htm
(The forecast 3 hrs from now looks superb).

Hoping for something like this earlier effort from south-central
Nebraska (near the 40th latitude):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pixelsmithy/7573641166/

Good luck everyone! I may be pulling an "all nighter".

--
Photographers must learn not to be ashamed to have their photographs
look like photographs.