I don't know how much credence you can put in journalistic endeavors that get basic facts wrong. I guess we can believe what they wrote, even though this won't be Pentax's first full frame DSLR, the late lamented and almost forgotten, or so it seems MR-52, a FF 6mp, often refereed to as the MZ-D and at least once re-branded as the K-1, was probably mere months from a formal announcement and full production. It was probably scuttled by three things, 1 and 2 Canon and Kodak both announced at Photokina that year, 11mp and 14mp full frame DSLRs, that would have sold for less than Pentax could probably produce, let alone sell the camera for, and 2 the Philips CCD the camera was to built around was problematic at best, which probably killed Contax/Yashica, when they decided to go forward with production.

There were supposed to be at least 6 hand built prototypes that were in circulation for testing and maybe more that never made it out of a Pentax facility. If the cameras never made it out a R*D lab, I couldn't count them, but this almost made it into the wild.