I heard back from both the B2Evolution forums and also from my webhost. Someone at B2E looked at the error message and sent me a suggested hack to the install script. That advanced the install a short way forward but it crashed later on.

My webhost will restore the SQL backup for free. However, they said that it "looks like" the updated version of b2e is not comparable with "some server settings" so their recommendation is to restore the old database and old version of the blog and roll with that. I have asked them if they could be a little more specific.

They said that nothing on the server had changed recently, so the question remains as to why the blog stopped working. In digging through the B2E forums I found a couple of others who had the same problem that I had with their blogs and the one person who posted on the resolution ascribed the issue to a change in settings in Apache.

I may restore the old database and blog software and either move to a new host or try an incremental update. I'd like to hear back from the B2E since they seem pretty responsive.

Mark